Monday, November 5, 2007

More on the trials

I was just over at runinlaw's and it made me think I should put some more about the trials experience up here.

For the last 2 laps we camped out at the 19/24 mile marker (right after the water stop on that side).

It was right at 19 that Browne stopped to try to stretch out his cramps. I was hurting for him. I think Nate Jenkins went by him at that point?

It was amazing to see it all go down. Hall did not even look like he was straining. Everyone else (cept maybe Ritz) was deep in pain-land at that point but Hall was just pouring it on. When he went by, we went nuts, then we all looked back. And waited. And waited...

We were really lucky to be right across the course from one of the Hansons. When Sell came by at 19 - he was maybe 7th? I think Browne was 3rd, Meb 4th, Khalid was in there. Nate Jenkins maybe? Then Sell.

The Hanson guy went nuts running behind the barrier along with Brian. He was yelling at him HS coach style - 'If you are going to go you have to go NOW!!!'.

And he did! He was getting updates from someone on the phone and shouting them out for us. "Khalid is coming back! Khalid is coming back! He's getting Browne!"

It was wild. Just wild.

He came by 24 and the you couldn't have stopped by with a truck. The intensity in his eyes was just amazing.

I have been ambivalent on the idea of running a marathon since I started running but after that I want one and I want it bad.

Also want to shout out for a local Macharia Yout - he's a Widner grad and got in with a 2:22. He ended up 33rd with a 2:18 and looked strong every time we saw him go by! A 4 minute PR!

2 comments:

Mindi said...

Very awesome - I wish I had been there!! As I was saying on Jospeh's blog, they did not show much of Ritz at all once the lead pack spread out. I'm glad to hear he looked very good too.

I am so happy Sell made it. The guy clearly worked his tail off and had the drive and intensity to bring it home!

And congrats to your local runner. I was a little disappointed they shut off the webcast after the first 5 or 6 guys came through. I didn't even see Meb finish. I would have liked to see all of them finish - it was such an accomplishment for each and every man out there.

Chad said...

Nice review Tom. It's super hard keeping everyone one straight, but I think you're confusing Jenkins with Lehmkuhle. Lehm was 5th while Jenkins was around 10th.