Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Unlocked GSM, Orcas, Fridge Defrost Timer and Thermostat

What do these 3 things have in common? In the past 24 hours I've become a self-styled pseudo expert on all of them.

Sunday I was attempting to wrestle my 18 month old son into his car seat while he practiced resisting arrest. I put the phone on top of the car. You know how that one ends. Thus my research in the unlocked GSM cell phone market. I found a nice one on Craigslist, but when I proposed meeting him at the cell phone store to make sure it wasn't stolen he mysteriously stopped returning my emails. Hmmm... I think I'll order one from Amazon.

My 3.5 year old daughter has developed a fascination with killer whales. Also known as orcas. Adult males can weigh as much as 140 people. The live in pods, which are like families. Except some move around (transient pods) and some stay still (resident pods). They have 4 types of fins. Scientists are still learning many things about orcas. They are mammals. They can eat 500 pounds of food a day. (Now that sounds fun!)

Then my wife calls me at 4:30 and says the fridge isn't cold. When I get home I discover that the freezer in fact is. Destroying my wife's fervent hope that the 12 year old side by side is now deceased I employ my friend Google to learn all about the role of the evaporator coil in the frost free freezer. Apparently I need either a new defrost limit thermostat or defrost timer. Reasoning that both of them put together are 1/3 the cost of a call to the repair guy, I decide to order both. Overnight. Because I'm extravagant like that.

Oh yeah, and 10.5 with 30 minutes at 6:00 pace then 15 at 5:50 pace.

5 comments:

MB said...

Very funny post as it got me rolling with laughter. Loved the part about strapping in the little one "resisting arrest." I've been there myself many times.

Good luck with your running.

Jen said...

I knew I had married MacGyver when he came running into the kitchen with a hair dryer. . .

Anonymous said...

If your freezer ain't working, you can always store meat and ice cream in my black, cold heart.

Tom said...

Joseph: Depends. Does a light in your heart go on when I open the door?

Anonymous said...

Well, Tom, in the wonderful words of Neil Diamond, turn on my heart light, let it shine wherever you go, let it make a happy glow for all the world to see .