Saturday, March 1, 2008

Back to the track

So I was back to the track last night. There was a forecast of snow (which, fortunately, ultimately came as rain) so I was hoping to get done before the sun went down. The planned workout was 5 x (800, 400) with half distance jog after both. It went pretty well.

Goal: 2:38, 1:18
Max rep HR in ()

1: 2:37(197), 1:17(174)
2: 2:39(180), 1:16(179)
3: 2:38(182), 1:17(177)
4: 2:38(183), 1:18(180)
5: 2:40(182), 1:19(177)

I tried to run the last set by feel without looking at the watch to adjust my pace at the splits and I was obviously feeling the fatigue a bit. This one was mostly in the lungs and I was breathing a little heavy in the 800s. In this workout the 400s are almost like a break :) Overall it felt good - a moderate workout.

Just for an interesting point of reference, I looked up some similar workouts from the past and last March I went totally into oxygen debt during a 6x800 at 2:55 with 400 jog, in June, right before my 5k PR I did one 6x800 in the high 2:40s, and one low 2:40s (both deep in o2 debt by the end). None of them identical, but interesting points nonetheless.

This week is my easier week, I do 2 workouts then a long on Sunday. Tuesday night was 3x2 mile at 5:45 pace with a 2 minute jog. Let's face it, 2:00 isn't much of a jog. By the time you look at your watch the second time it's time to buckle down again. That said, I really kind of groove on LT workouts. I really seem to settle in and they get easier as the reps go on.

2 weeks from today to my first early season race. I'm excited already.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, well, well, it looks like we're both getting into shape, though you, obviously, a bit faster than me :). Seriously, those 800/400 intervla workouts will get you into wicked good shape. I'm wondering if you don't have a low 16 effort in you right now (if not faster). Don't want to jinx you, but there, I said it.

seebo said...

Nice work, Tom.

Mindi said...

Nice workout and nice progress! Good luck on the upcoming race. What is your goal?

Tom said...

My goal for my race is relatively even splits. I've borked up my 5ks pretty badly in the past with major positive splits and I'd really just like to run one cleanly.

Given that I feel like I'm in better shape than last summer, I would think that if I can do that, I can PR.