Monday, January 7, 2008

Ok loyal reader...

I'm looking for some large, fast 5ks for the spring -- and by that I mean I'm looking for a lot of competition through through the 15s and 16s. I would love to stay within a few hours of Philly, but I'll travel for the right race. I'm trying to find something, maybe in May, to peak for.

So far I've got 2, but the timing is wrong for both:

3/15/2008, Adrenaline 5k, Haddonfield NJ, 21 runners sub 16:30 in 07

ETA: 5/4/2008 (From Tusca in the comments) - Flying Pig 5k this year is the RRCA 5k champs - last year in another location, 24 runners sub 16:30

8/24/2008, Chris Thater Mem 5k, Binghamton NY, 49 runners sub 16:30 in 07

If anyone knows of any races like these, or maybe some 5ks associated with larger races (like they do with the Rothman 8K & the Philly Marathon)? I would love any links.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom,

Flying Pig 5k on first weekend in May is RRCA National Championship this year. Usually, the fact it's RRCA Champs usually draws out a good 30-40 top-notch runners, but being this is the first Flying Pig is sponsoring the 5k nats, who knows...

But I'll be there running the 10k. You could bask in the glory of my mediocrity :)

Tom said...

Thanks. Added to the list. I forgot about RRCA.

I wonder how they get the draw they do for that Binghamton race. That's a serious field.

Anonymous said...

I have no idea about Bing: what's the prize money? Are there a lot of college runners?

Anyhow, also look at places where they have strong track clubs and/or prize money (especially for Masters at they'll more likley run 15s, as opposed to the open field which would be 14 heavy)...

I'm thinking CA and Boston would have some fast ass 5ks, but that's a long way to travel. The USATF 5k champs, I think, are in Sept. unfortunately...

Tom said...

Yeah, now that I look, I guess 15k in prize money for a 5k will bring out the heavies. Couldn't find a breakdown.

I found some open meets last night, but they seem to end in April when all the kids start getting ready for champs. Looking like it's probably June into July.