Friday, January 18, 2008

Snowball fight!

We got our first appreciable snowfall of the year last night here in the Philly area. My daughter has been anxiously awaiting snow in any form (and was very sad that it did not appear on Christmas) so we all headed out after dinner for our first ever family snowball fight. My wife claims that my using our 18 month old son as a human shield was being a sissy, but I think that is just good snowballing!

We also built a very short, very wet (and unfortunately short-lived) snowman. Fun!

The snow turned to cold, heavy rain though, so I ended up on the treadmill last night. The runs lately have been good and I'm starting to have runs where I don't even feel the shin at all. My plan now is to finish this week with some high (for me) mileage, take a bit of a down week next week, then into a pre-season plan with the coach. I'm getting excited.

Fri: 9m @ 7:45 - HR avg 135
Thu: 6m @ 8:45 - HR avg 124
Wed: 10+m @ 7:15 - HR avg 159

The Wednesday night run was with my running store group and we through in about 3 miles of 6:30s to keep things interesting.

6 comments:

Hubitron said...

Hey Tom,

Nice tactical move with the kid :). Boy in one hand, wet snowball in the other. Perfect! I'll have to keep that one in mind for the future.

It's funny that most of us have that need to insert the "(for me)" caveat after referring to our running high mileage. I've used it a number of times. It sorts of speaks volumes about the kind of folks you run into on running message boards and the like. If you say you run high mileage, there's (almost guaranteed) somebody that will say "well, *insert 27:30 10k guys name here* ran 210 miles a week in singles for four weeks straight in 1978." Ummm...thanks.

Great work. I'm pretty interested to see and compare what Will sends your way for a pre-season plan.

John W said...

Do you run with the Jenkintown Running club?

Tom said...

John: I do. I try to get there most Wed nights. They have some fast dudes on that team, and some fast ones who run with the store as well.

Hubitron: The snowball technique was very effective!

Anonymous said...

well, *insert 27:30 10k guys name here* ran 210 miles a week in singles for four weeks straight in 1978.

Hmm, now who could you be refering to? Oh it makes me cry when I think of the decline of CR...good times, good times.

CoachT said...

See - now this is the type of personal stuff your wife wants to see.

Hopefully your wife has terrible aim and the baby didn't take too many snowballs to the chin....

Tom said...

Trev: Thankfully her aim is awful. The toddler was really unnecessary. The trick to avoiding a snowball thrown by my wife is to stand still so you don't run into it by accident.

Since she reads here sometimes I'm sure the next one will be a dunk down the back of my jacket. :)