Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Perplexing. And I cheated.

One of the things that I have always found very perplexing is that I consistently get great workouts on the days I least want to run. Yesterday I had a sore throat, not enough sleep, a runny nose, a whiny ass. You get the picture. I had really wanted to run outside, but an ice storm prevented that.

So I cued up Invincible (now there's a movie for a Philly runner) and got down to work. 9.5 miles with 2 x 3 miles @ 6:00 pace with a 2 minute jog in between. I know that the treadmill is easier than running outside, what with that moving belt and no wind resistance and all, but it went down pretty well all things considered. HR steady in the low 160s during the reps.

Even with the incline at 1.0, I know that would have been harder on the track. But some days you just have to take what you can get, so I will.

I did have a fan setup to try to keep me from becoming a complete sweat-slime boy, but it did not work. And the wind resistance was minimal. I'm gonna need more fans.

And Tuscaloosa - in a run like that, once I really start sweating I have a hard time keeping the HR monitor in place. So I can't really imagine wearing one in a race unless it was cold enough that I wasn't going to sweat much.

1 comment:

The Salty One said...

I think running on a treadmill is harder. It's hot. It's boring. It sucks. I run much better outside so I personally think you're bad ass for getting that workout in on the damn thing! Not cheating!

Oh, and I have also noticed the same thing about feeling crappy. Especially when I feel tired and sluggish right before a run, it almost always ends up going well. Also, crappy warm-ups usually indicate quality races for me too!