Sunday, February 3, 2008

Running in the Time of Cholera

Ok, so maybe it wasn't cholera. Or maybe it was. Whatever it was, it took our house by storm, incapacitating denizens large and small. For maybe 36 hours our house was just a biohazard zone, filled with piles of laundry (dirty? clean?), toys awaiting disinfectant, and half used rolls of paper towels.

Fortunately for us, the gods of the intestines were kind enough to spare me until late Thursday when my wife finally began to emerge from her comatose state. Then I went down.

By today though, everything seems to be looking up.

Thursday: No running. Shaking, chills, yes. Running, no.
Friday: 6 easy once everyone had gone to bed.
Sat: 8 easy at 7:30 pace at the Wissahickon with some really light fartlek thrown in, 5x30-45 seconds around 5K pace. HR avg 144 / max 176.

The legs are feeling great. I am continuing with the new stretching program and feel like I am more flexible already, even though I know that is not really possible. I am focusing on making sure I am pulling with my hamstrings while I'm running. I know that you are not really supposed to mentally try to alter your stride, but having been in a bad state for a while I think that keeping this in my mind (and trying to pull the ground under me) is needed for a little bit while I continue to work on flexibility. Hopefully in a few weeks it will just be habit and I can put the conscious thought of what my legs are doing out of my mind.

No pain in the shins or calves. A little bit of soreness here and there in my hamstrings. I think they are just responding to the stretching and being awoken from a long winter slumber. Plus they are cranky about having to do some work for a change. That's a good thing.

No comments: